How HandsetExpert Works
We don't run ads on the site, or charge users to use the site. The site is funded using commission links, where we may receive a commission if a phone or tariff is purchased via HandsetExpert. Our editorial, phone scoring and recommendation system and deal-finding algorithms are not affected by this; we are fiercely committed to providing unbiased, independent information.
How do we find and order the deals?
Our unique comparison engine is designed to help you find the lowest cost deals and offers from mobile networks and retailers in the UK by providing clear, simple information showing how much you’ll end up paying for your phone and tariff.
When it comes to pricing, we always show you:
- The amount you pay upfront
- The amount you pay each month
- The total cost of ownership for the duration of the contract
- Total Cost of Ownership = upfront cost + (monthly payment x contract length in months)
- The average monthly cost
- Average Monthly Cost = Total cost of ownership / contract length in months
As part of our commitment to finding the best prices for you, we always order our deals by Total Cost of Ownership from lowest to highest, so you will always see the lowest cost you can pay over the length of the contract first. In situations where several tariffs have the same Total Cost of Ownership, we rate deals with more minutes and data over those with less. Deals with equal costs, inclusive minutes and data would then be ordered so that deals with perks like cashback and free gifts come ahead of deals without.
- We aim to compare as many tariffs in the marketplace from the UK as possible. However, we do not include every package (e.g. legacy tariffs no longer available, or tariffs only available to existing/specific customers), nor do we detail every aspect of every tariff (e.g. international out of bundle rates, on-network minutes, etc).
- SIM only deals are limited to 30-day and 12-month plans, excluding shorter plans and Pay As You Go rates.
- For tariffs which offer "unlimited" allowances, there may be times where traffic management or fair usage policies apply.
- Additional charges for payment methods other than direct debit and for itemised/paper billing may apply.
- Data only SIM cards, mobile broadband packages, and pay monthly tablets are currently not included in the comparison.
- Out of bundle charges are not included in the calculation of Average Monthly Cost.
- Contracts may not be available for some phone models in all colours and/or sizes, and a small number may only be available either as a pay monthly contract or a contract free handset, but not both.
- Please note that the calculation of total cost of ownership does not take into account cashback (either automatic or by redemption).or promotional items, though information on available cashback or other promotional items is provided in the search results.
- Sometimes specific information on discount periods and promotions is not provided to us, so two or more deals may appear the same in our search results. When this happens, it is possible that a discount or other promotion will be applied by the retailer when you select "Get Deal".
- Providers may increase the cost of your contract by RPI (inflation). However, if prices are increased that then cause a materially detrimental impact, you have the right to exit your contract without penalty. More details available from Ofcom plus comparative information on customer service and complaints handling & their guide on how to complain.